There is nothing that will erase the trauma of being sexually assaulted. Over time, you will learn to cope with what happened and we realize that no amount of money will ever take away the pain. However, by filing a civil suit against the perpetrator and other responsible parties, you can help pay for some of the losses you have suffered from.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and be your advocate. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work diligently to secure the compensation you deserve when you need a New York City sexual assault attorney.
What Are The Statistics?
Sexual assault in the US happens at staggering rates. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center says that:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped during their lifetime.
- One in three women and one in six men experience some form of contact sexual violence.
- 51.1% of female victims are raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance.
- 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male.
- In eight of 10 cases of rape, the victim knows the perpetrator.
- Eight percent of rapes happen at work.
We know those are hard statistics to take in, but that is the reality that so many people live through each day. The pain and suffering that victims of sexual assault go through are immense and the effects are long-lasting.
Sexual assault takes many different forms can include:
- Any unwanted or forced sexual act performed on someone or in which someone was forced to perform.
- Any unwanted sexual touching.
- Exposure to or being forced to watch sex acts or pornography.
- Someone exposing themselves to you.
- Sexual harassment, including making inappropriate sexual comments.
What Are The Costs?
There are different kinds of costs associated with the effects of a rape or sexual assault. In a physical assault, there will be the immediate medical costs to consider. These costs can be considerable. Many victims of sexual assault report long-term emotional and psychological damages.
- 81% of women and 35% of men report short- and long-term impacts such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Many victims need continual counseling.
Please Seek Assistance Today
How do you begin the process of healing?
By ensuring that justice is served and that you get the compensation you deserve for everything you have been through, including your past, present, and future expenses that could arise related to the assault.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is going to be by your side, working to secure:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits if applicable
- Compensation for needed counseling
- Punitive damages against those responsible
In many cases, sexual assault occurs because of negligent security or negligent hiring practice. You may be eligible to seek damages from other parties in these instances.