There are plenty of rental cars in and around Philadelphia. Many are driven by tourists from out of town, while others are rented by those who have temporarily lost access to their vehicles. Rental car accidents happen in a variety of ways, but the aftermath can be more complex to deal with. At Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., we have the knowledge and experience you need to handle these cases. Let us get to work investigating what happened so we can secure the compensation you deserve.
Rental car accidents occur in much the same ways that other accidents do, with the added factor that drivers in rentals are more unfamiliar with the vehicles. To look at the chances a rental accident could happen, we need to look at the overall vehicle crash statistics in Pennsylvania.
During the latest reporting year in the Commonwealth, we know there were more than 128,000 total crashes. Out of those, there were 1,137 fatalities and more than 80,000 injuries reported.
These crashes often lead to serious injuries for victims, including:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
If a rental car accident occurs
Regardless of whether you are in the rental car or another vehicle, initially handle this just like you would any other car accident.
- Seek medical attention
- Gather as much evidence as you can from the scene. Take photographs of the damages, causes of the crash, traffic patterns, and more. Get eyewitness names and contact information. Get the insurance information of all drivers involved.
- Be sure to get an official copy of the accident reports.
- Obtain all of your medical records and continue your medical care until a doctor says you are finished.
- Consider calling an attorney to help you through this.
You may be dealing with multiple insurance companies. Many people who rent a vehicle do so using their personal insurance. You cannot rent a car unless you have insurance in the first place. Rental companies also offer a range of other types of temporary coverage that can offer additional protections. This coverage ranges in levels of protection and is not mandatory, but is recommended. Most credit card companies also come with automatic rental car coverage.
Because of the complexities of rental car insurance issues in the aftermath of a crash, please seek help from an experienced Philadelphia car accident attorney.
We are ready to help you get through this
If you or a loved one have been injured in a rental car accident, you may need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and help you get through this. Regardless of whether you were in the rental car or struck by a rental, we want to make sure you are fairly compensated. This includes:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the crash
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the at-fault driver