We trust healthcare professionals to take care of us. Whether we are having an emergency or trusting them with our continued health needs, the last thing we think about is that we will be harmed. Unfortunately, medical mistakes happen much more likely than most people realize.
When you need a Philadelphia medical malpractice attorney, Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and help. We understand this area of law and will work to secure compensation for all of your incident-related expenses.
We Rely On These Professionals
There are not too many people who go a few months without seeing a medical professional. Think about how many of the following you interact with over the course of a year:
- Primary care doctor
- ER doctors
- Pharmacy technicians
All of these professionals perform valuable jobs and do what they can to keep us healthy. However, did you know that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States?
- Johns Hopkins researchers say an average of 250,000 people lose their lives each year due to medical mistakes. Millions more are injured and are left living with the consequences.
These mistakes occur in a variety of ways, but revolve around the following:
- Diagnostic mistakes: Researches say that errors made when diagnosing patients cause more patient suffering and expense than any other mistake. Diagnostic mistakes can lead to early discharges, delayed treatment, or a patient never being treated at all.
- Infections: One out of every 30 patients in the hospital acquires an infection each day. It is up to medical staff to check infection prone sites on patients regularly: IV sites, recent surgical sites, open wounds, etc. All staff should also properly disinfect surfaces and themselves in between each patient they see.
- Medication errors: We know that medication errors harm an estimated 1.5 million people each year. This can be due to a patient not receiving the correct medication, receiving the wrong dosage, or not receiving their medication at all.
- Surgical mistakes: Surgical mistakes can range in severity. You may have heard of the “never events” that can occur – leaving surgical instruments inside of a person, operating on the wrong body part, etc. However, there are more “minor” surgical errors that can be just as deadly.
If You Are Injured By A Healthcare Provider
You went to see a healthcare provider because you wanted help. The last thing you expected was that they would cause you harm. At Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., we know that these cases can become complicated. We also know you need compensation for the following:
- Compensation for all medical expenses related to the mistake
- Coverage of lost wages if you cannot work
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages against the people responsible