If you are here because you have been sexually assaulted, then we know you are going through an incredibly difficult time. There is no amount of compensation that will erase what has happened, but we want you to know that filing a civil suit can be your way of seeking justice from the person who assaulted you.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. has the experience you need to successfully pursue the compensation you deserve for all of the physical and emotional pain you have suffered from because of the assault. When you need a Manhattan sexual assault attorney, call us today.
This Is Never Okay
Sexual assault is a broad term used to describe many things that a perpetrator can do to a victim. Sexual assault can include:
- Any unwanted or forced sexual act performed on someone or in which someone was forced to perform on a perpetrator.
- Any unwanted sexual touching. This includes outside or underneath clothing.
- Exposure to or being forced to watch sex acts or pornography.
- Someone exposing themselves to a victim.
- Sexual harassment, including making inappropriate sexual comments.
Sexual assault can happen anywhere. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center tells us that:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped during their lifetime.
- One in three women and one in six men experience some form of contact sexual violence.
- 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male.
You may wonder who commits sexual assault. In some cases, the perpetrator is a stranger. In most cases though, sexual assault is perpetrated by someone that the victim knows.
- 51.1% of female victims are raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance.
- In eight of 10 cases of rape, the victim knows the perpetrator.
- Eight percent of rapes happen at work.
The effects of sexual assault are lifelong. Many people think that the only expense that a rape or sexual assault victim faces are medical costs in the immediate aftermath of an incident. However, we know that this is not the case.
- Over 80% of women and 35% of men report emotional and psychological damages as a result of sexual assaults. Often, this is in the form of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Counseling for victims of assault may be necessary for long periods of time.
How We Can Help Now
We want you to know that you did not deserve to be sexually assaulted and that we will be by your side as you work to seek justice. Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. has the experience you need to go after compensation for all of the expenses you have or will encounter due to the assault.
When you need a Manhattan sexual assault attorney, our knowledgeable and experienced team will work to secure the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits if you lost your job or were unable to work
- Compensation for and counseling needed
- Punitive damages against the person or people responsible