When you go to work for the government, whether local, state, or federal, you should never have to worry about whether or not you are safe. Workplace sexual abuse can never be tolerated. The “Me Too” movement has swept across the country over the last few years and ushered in a new era of transparency.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. has a team ready to help you when you need a Jersey City government sexual abuse attorney. Let us get to work investigating your case so we can secure the compensation you deserve.
What We Know About Abuse
Sexual assault and abuse can take many forms. It can include:
- Any unwanted or forced sexual act performed on someone.
- Any sexual act that someone is forced to perform.
- Any unwanted sexual touching, including on the outside or underneath clothing.
- Victims being exposed to or being forced to watch sex acts or pornography.
- Someone being exposed to another person’s genitals.
- Non-physical things like sexual harassment, including making inappropriate sexual comments.
How often does this occur? According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, we know that:
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be raped at some point during their lives.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men experience some form of contact sexual violence.
You may also be surprised to learn that in eight out of ten cases, rape and sexual assault are committed by someone the victim knows – many times a coworker.
This Should Not Happen In A Government Workplace
The largest employers in the US are often governments, whether local, state, or federal. Consider the fact that 8% of rapes occur while the victim is at work.
The “Me Too” movement has shown us that workplace sexual abuse and harassment cannot be tolerated. It has also highlighted just how devastating this kind of behavior is for victims.
- Even if abuse is non-physical, victims can experience a lifetime of emotional and psychological problems.
In many cases of New Jersey government sexual abuse, when abuse is discovered it is covered up by coworkers and supervisors. This creates an illusion that the behavior of abusers is okay, often extending a victim’s abuse for years. This culture of sexual abuse being tolerated must end.
What You Can Do Now
We need you to understand that what happened to you is not your fault and that you have a voice. The team at Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. will be your advocate during this difficult time. When you work for the government, you should never have to worry about being sexually abused. If that happens, you may be eligible for compensation, including the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Compensation for counseling
- Punitive damages against the perpetrator(s)
We will also pursue punitive damages against the agency you work for and anyone who tried to cover up the abuse. If you need a Jersey City government sexual abuse attorney, please contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 866-597-8572.