A sexual assault is something that nobody should ever have to experience. If you or a loved one have been sexually assaulted, then you may be wondering if you have any options. Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. wants to be by your advocate as you seek to hold the perpetrators responsible.
When you need a Brooklyn sexual assault attorney, we will work tirelessly on your behalf. While we know that no amount of money will erase the pain and suffering you have experienced, it can help bring justice and closure. It can also help prevent this from happening to anyone else.
What Are The Numbers
We all hear about sexual assault and rape, but many people could never comprehend what victims go through in the aftermath. Unfortunately, sexual assault is common in the United States and there are many misconceptions about how they happen and who perpetrated them.
First, we want to put the stats from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center into perspective:
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be raped at some point during their lives.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men experience some form of contact sexual violence.
- 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male.
This is not something that happens to “other” people. Someone you know has likely been sexually assaulted. This type of assault takes many forms and can include:
- Any unwanted or forced sexual act performed on someone or in which someone was forced to perform.
- Any unwanted sexual touching, including on the outside or underneath clothing.
- A victim being exposed to or being forced to watch sex acts or pornography.
- Someone exposing themselves to a victim.
- Non-physical things like sexual harassment, including making inappropriate sexual comments.
Sexual assault is almost never perpetrated by a stranger to the victim. In fact, the NSVRC says that 91% of victims of rape knew their perpetrator.
The Long-Term Costs
Victims of sexual assault and rape are going to suffer long-term emotional and psychological effects in their lives. 81% of women and 35% of men who have been victims of sexual assault report suffering from disorders such as PTSD. Most victims need counseling to work through what has happened to them.
What Happens Next?
If you or a loved one have been sexually assaulted, you may wonder if you have any options. Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. want you to know that there are steps you can take right now. Even if there is a criminal case related to the assault, you have the right to pursue civil action against the perpetrator.
We will work diligently on your behalf in order to secure the compensation you deserve for your past, present, and future expenses. This can include:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits if necessary
- Compensation for needed counseling
- Punitive damages against those responsible
While we know that no amount of money will erase the pain you are feeling, it can help bring closure and justice. When you need a Brooklyn sexual assault attorney, you can contact us by clicking here or calling us at 215-929-7216.