Survivors of sexual abuse are left dealing with the consequences of what happened for the rest of their lives. While we know that this is an incredibly difficult time for you or a loved one who has been abused, the time to act is now.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to step in and be your advocate. When you need a Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney, our qualified and experienced team will investigate what happened so we can secure compensation from the perpetrator and any institution that helped them. You can take a stand and get justice today.
What Is The Reality?
So many people see stories of sexual abuse on the news and think nothing of it, but for victims of sexual abuse, they know how devastating this is. In the United States, sexual abuse is more prevalent than anyone realizes.
- This happens when a person in power or authority over someone sexually abuses them.
We see sexual abuse happen in various different ways:
- When an adult sexually abuses a minor
- Teacher, member of the clergy, scout leaders, coaches, etc.
- When an adult sexually abuses another adult
- Doctor or nurse abuses a patient
- Elders abused in a nursing home
- In-home care aide abuses elder
- Disabled person abused
- When an older or more powerful child sexually abuses another child
Does this happen often?
The Darkness to Light tells us that one in five girls and one in 25 boys will be sexually assaulted during their lifetimes. Overall, one in 10 children will be sexually abused before they reach their 18th birthday.
- 90% of sexual abuse victims knew their abuser.
- 30% of abusers are members of the victims’ family.
The effects of sexual abuse are long-lasting. In many cases, victims report long-term emotional and psychological damages as well as effects on their own sex lives.
These are scary numbers and they show us that the time to act is now. If you are a victim of child sexual abuse and are now an adult, you can still seek justice. If you are a parent and your child has been abused, you can seek justice.
FAQs for Brooklyn Sexual Assault Lawyer
Approximately 20 percent of girls and women are sexually assaulted at some point in their lives, while other studies indicate that one in three women and one in six men experience some form of contact-based sexual violence.
Victims of sexual abuse and assault may be entitled to monetary compensation. Although no amount of money can undo the wrongdoing, holding the abuser accountable can help the victim obtain closure.
Let our Brooklyn sexual assault lawyer from Soloff & Zervanos, P.C., help you get a sense of justice through a civil and criminal lawsuit against the abuser. While the state will prosecute your offender to put him or her behind bars, our skilled lawyer can help you obtain compensation in a civil claim.
What is Considered Sexual Assault in New York?
Aside from rape, there can be many other types of sexual assault recognized by civil and criminal courts in New York:
- Unwanted physical contact (e.g., touching, grabbing, and groping);
- Sexual abuse by doctors and hospitals;
- Sexual exploitation;
- Child molestation;
- Elder sexual abuse;
- Sexual abuse of people with disabilities;
- Clergy and church sexual assault;
- Sexual abuse by teachers and schools;
- Facilitating sexual acts with a drug or controlled substance;
- Foster care sexual abuse;
- Sexual violence in youth organizations;
- Sexual abuse by athletic coaches and sports teams; and
- Non-consensual sexual interactions online.
The general age of consent in New York is 17. However, the “age of consent” rule is not applicable in cases where the abused individual is mentally incompetent to consent to sexual relations.
What to Do After Sexual Assault?
If you merely suspect or are confident that you were sexually assaulted, it is vital to act quickly and:
- Contact the police to report sexual assault;
- Seek medical attention to document evidence of sexual contact or assault (failure to do so will make it more complicated to show concrete proof that you were sexually assaulted);
- Speak to a sexual abuse counselor or psychologist;
- Contact the New York Office of Victim Services, which might provide you with a certain amount of monetary compensation before your civil case is resolved; and
- Call a Brooklyn sexual assault lawyer to pursue a civil and criminal lawsuit.
Although speaking to anyone about something as heinous and traumatizing as a sexual assault may feel like an arduous task, doing so is necessary to preserve evidence and get a better chance of successfully holding the offender criminally liable. The longer you wait to report, the harder it will be to win your case.
Does Being Drunk or Drugged at the Time of the Crime Play Any Role?
Many sexual assault survivors wonder whether the intoxication of the offender or the victim is going to play a substantial role in their sexual abuse case.
In some cases, it does play a significant role. For example, the offender might argue that he or she was too intoxicated to control his or her actions. The defendant might also claim that the victim was so intoxicated that he or she does not remember consenting to the sexual act.
Do I Lose My Right to Sue if the Defendant Was Acquitted in Criminal Court?
In New York, you can pursue both a civil and criminal lawsuit against the offender. But what if the defendant is acquitted in criminal court? Does it mean that the victim can no longer pursue damages in a civil court?
No. A civil and criminal case are two completely different proceedings. In criminal cases, the offender can be held criminally liable if he or she was proven guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.” In civil cases, on the other hand, victims are required to prove that their accusations are true by a “preponderance of the evidence.”
In other words, the burden of proof is much higher in criminal cases.
How Hiring a Brooklyn Sexual Abuse Attorney Helps You Protect Others
You may already appreciate he fact that hiring a Brooklyn sexual abuse lawyer can help you pursue the justice you deserve if you’ve been sexually abused. However, you might not have considered how taking legal action in these circumstances can also help you protect others from becoming victims.
Hiring a Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can be a powerful step in helping a victim of sexual abuse to prevent others from being abused. Here are some ways in which a Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can help:
- Hold the abuser accountable: A Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can help to hold the abuser accountable for their actions by filing a lawsuit against them. This can help to send a message that sexual abuse will not be tolerated and can help to prevent future abuse.
- Obtain a restraining order: A Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can help to obtain a restraining order against the abuser, which can prevent future abuse and protect the victim and their loved ones.
- Seek compensation for damages: A Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can help to seek compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. This can provide the victim with the resources they need to move forward and recover from the abuse. Additionally, it indicates to an abuser (and other potential abusers) that there is a price to pay for their crimes. This may prevent an abuser from committing the same crimes in the future, while also deterring others from following in their footsteps.
- Expose the abuser: A Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can help to expose the abuser and their actions, which may prevent them from being able to abuse others in the future. If it is revealed that a certain individual or party is guilty of sexual abuse, others may know to avoid being in the presence of said party in a manner that could potentially leave them vulnerable.
- Speak on the victim’s behalf: A Brooklyn sexual abuse attorney can speak on the victim’s behalf and make sure their story is heard, and that they receive justice.
It can be difficult to revisit this type of painful experience when you might much rather move on. However, it’s worth keeping in mind that by coordinating with the experts at a Broolyn sexual abuse law firm, you’re not merely pursuing justice on your own behalf. You may also be taking important action to protect others from enduring what you’ve gone through.
It Is Time To Take Action
If you or a loved one have been sexually abused, it can be difficult to figure out your next steps. Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is here to let you know that we will be by your side as you seek justice against the perpetrator.
Our qualified and experienced team understands the complexities of these cases and will investigate what happened. Our goal is to secure compensation for your past, present, and future expenses. This can include:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Compensation for counseling
- Punitive damages against the perpetrator(s)
- The person who abused you
- Institutions they worked for
- Institutions that covered up the abuse