Sexual assault is a major problem in the United States, something that we see in the headlines just about every single day. We see stories of celebrities, politicians, and athletes who have committed sexual assault, but we want to stress that we understand sexual assault can happen to anyone.
Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. has the experience you need to pursue the perpetrator of your sexual assault in a civil case. We will investigate what happened and move to secure the compensation you deserve. When you need a Bronx sexual assault attorney, call us today.
The Traumatic Stats
The US Department of Justice describes sexual assault as any form of non-consensual sexual behavior or contact. This can include penetration, fondling, rape, unwanted touching, attempted rape, or intrusion with objects.
Before we discuss where sexual assaults happen, we need to give you some numbers for perspective. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center tells us that one in five women and one in 71 men will be raped during their lifetime.
- In around 8 out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the perpetrator.
This defeats the myth that sexual assaults are perpetrated by strangers. That is rarely the case. Sexual assault and rape happen every day in the following places:
- Universities: anyone attending a college or university has the right to be protected from campus sexual assault. However, we know many schools have a “rape culture.”
- Healthcare facilities: these are places where people are vulnerable (doctor’s offices, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.). Nobody should ever have to worry about an assault by healthcare professionals.
- Workplace: perpetrators of workplace sexual abuse can include coworkers, supervisors, clients, customers, and more.
- Property of others: if a sexual assault occurs on the property of another person, your attorney may be able to pursue them for negligence if they failed to take steps to keep you safe.
We also know that, in many cases of sexual abuse, the perpetrator is a close friend, an intimate partner, or even a spouse.
- Yes, even an intimate sexual partner can commit sexual abuse if there is no consent.
The effects of sexual assault can last a lifetime and lead to years of necessary counseling. Many victims of sexual assault and rape suffer from emotional and psychological problems and have problems forming healthy sexual relationships.
What You Can Do Now
The effects of sexual assault are more than just physical wounds. The deep emotion and psychological trauma most victims experience can last a lifetime. Soloff & Zervanos, P.C. is ready to help if you or a loved one have been sexually assaulted. We want to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of earning capacity
- Compensation for needed counseling
- Punitive damages against those responsible
If your case was covered up by another person, institution, or entity, we want to hold them accountable as well. When you need a Bronx sexual assault attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 215-929-7216.